T: 01245 291600 E: pcc@essex.pnn.police.uk Change font size A A A View text only version View full website

Your Compliments or Concerns

As Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC), I oversee Essex Police and have responsibility for ensuring that the police force is efficient, effective and fair.

My office will reply to all correspondence within 20 working days, and will inform you if it is not possible to respond in full within this period.

If your enquiry is about an operational policing matter, then it will be passed to Essex Police for them to respond to you directly.

Allegations and Complaints against the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC)

Where a member of the public wishes to make an allegation or complaint that the Police and Crime Commissioner has failed to comply with the PCC’s Code of Conduct, that allegation must be put in writing to the Police and Crime Panel, Essex County Council, County Hall, Market Road, Chelmsford, Essex, CM1 1QH.

You can view the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Voluntary Code of Conduct by clicking the link below:


Compliments and Complaints against Essex Police

Essex Police always welcome and encourage feedback as it is an important element of understanding how they can improve their service.

As such we hope you are happy with the way Essex Police deal with you and if so we would ask you to tell us when you are.

If however you feel they have not met the high standards that have been set or you are otherwise unhappy with the service provided or with the conduct of their staff, you can make a complaint.

Chief Constable

Members of the public can make a complaint against the Chief Constable by writing to the Police and Crime Commissioner at 1st Floor, Kelvedon Park, London Road, Rivenhall, Witham, Essex CM8 3HB.

Who can make a complaint?

You can make a complaint if you are a member of the public who:

  • Has been the victim of the misconduct by any member of the police service.
  • Witnessed or was affected by the misconduct.
  • Is a friend, relative or representative of the victim of the misconduct.

What should my complaint say?

As well as your name, address and contact details, the main things that your complaint should cover are:

  • What happened
  • When it happened
  • Who was involved
  • What was said or done
  • Whether there were any witnesses other than yourself and the person serving with the police
  • Where the witnesses can be contacted, if known
  • Details of any damage or injury which took place

Policy on dealing with abusive, persistent or vexatious calls, contact, correspondence and complaints

The Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner aims to deal with all correspondence and complaints equitably, but there will be occasions when individuals make unreasonable demands of the office by way of correspondence or complaints.

Our policy on dealing with abusive, persistent or vexatious calls, contact, correspondence and complaints outlines the circumstances when we may decline to investigate a correspondence or complaint.

The role of the Professional Standards Department (PSD)

The Professional Standards Department is responsible for the investigation of complaints against police officers and police staff made by members of the public, the management of complaints and the investigation of misconduct.

Essex Police undertake to investigate all complaints swiftly and fairly and will provide you with the result of their investigation.

How Essex Police will deal with your complaint.

It may be that in the first instance, your concern will be sent to the relevant local policing area or command for them to make contact with you, even if your query relates to members of staff from within that area.

If the issue you are raising cannot be dealt with over the telephone or in writing by them, then they may seek to meet with you to complete a complaint form. You may then be offered a process called a Local Resolution to address your concerns. The officer taking your complaint will fully explain the process which will involve drawing up an action plan specifically aimed at resolving your complaint (usually within 28 days). This will be carried out and you will be contacted to confirm that this has been done. Should you remain unhappy at the end of the process you have a right of appeal to the IPCC and you will be provided with a leaflet which explains how to do this.

Should a Local Resolution not be possible or you do not agree to adopt this process, then the matter may be fully investigated and we have a team of investigators within Professional Standards Department for this purpose. Although we are allocated 120 days to investigate a complaint we aim to complete the majority within 90 days. At the end of this process you will receive a report telling you what has been done and what the outcome is. This will include (if appropriate) details of any discipline procedures that are proposed to be taken against the officer/s or staff member/s. Again you have a right of appeal to the IPCC and details of how to do this will be provided when the report is sent to you.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)

The IPCC are a statutory body, who may supervise or manage an investigation relating to the conduct of our staff or in some cases, conduct the enquiry itself.

They will also conduct a review of our investigation should you choose to exercise your right of appeal.

For more information visit http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/ or write to:

The Independent Police Complaints Commission
90 High Holborn

Telephone: 08453 002002 (local rate)
Fax: 020 7404 0430
Email: enquiries@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk

Police and Crime Commissioner’s Staff

If a member of the public wishes to make a complaint against a member of the PCC’s staff, they should write to:

The Chief Executive
3 Hoffmanns Way

To view complaints and conduct matters against the PCC, click here


PCC for Essex, Kelvedon Park, London Road, Rivenhall, Witham, Essex, CM8 3HB
01245 291600

If your enquiry relates to operational policing or a crime please contact Essex Police here